Please note: the sound on this recording is a little low, you may wish to listen through headphones.
Welcome to the first of our Business Planning video workshops – From Idea to Action!
This course is based on a workshop first delivered as part of the Time for a Change Program developed by Community Futures Capital Region to promote business ownership in rural Alberta. The original live workshop has been redesigned as a video course in the light of COVID-19. It may be offered again as an in person workshop in Stony Plain, Alberta in the future.
The Business Planning series has been developed for first time business owners. This first workshop – From Idea to Action – explores your business idea in detail and correlates to the first section of any standard Business Plan document, such as the Business Description, Business Idea or Concept section.
At the end of this workshop, you’ll find a downloadable Business Plan template and Help Guide. More about those later.
Here’s what we’ll be looking at today:
- First we’ll take an overview of what business planning is about:
- We’ll look at the difference between the business planning activities and the Business Plan document itself.
- Then we’ll dig into the detail of your business idea. Things like:
- Clearly defining your idea in terms of your product and services, and setting some business goals
- Testing that idea against your competition and industry.
- Finally look at the most common mistakes when developing your idea and how to avoid them.
So, let’s get started.